Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A de-galvanized rod

I looked in on my loggerhead after about 22 hours, and I found that the experiment with vinegar was a resounding success.  I now have a steel rod with about two inches of steel de-plated:

The zoomed-in section was fully submerged in the vinegar, and it appears to now be bare steel.  I had put some plastic wrap over the top of the bucket to try to contain the fumes a bit, and it appears that the fumes from the vinegar were quite corrosive to the zinc as well.  The metal is quite discolored for the whole length of the rod that was in the bucket; the shinier section toward the bottom of the picture is where the rod was above the plastic wrap, and it appears to be untarnished.

Next step:  a hacksaw to trim the rod down, a shallow, long pan, and a bunch more white vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment